Greens Committee Minutes

 

Date - Wednesday 10th May 2017

Attendees Andy Booth - Dave Crampton - Gary Pritchard - John Whiteley

1. Apologies
2. Previous minutes discussed and Actions Schedule updated. 

  • Three quotes are now in hand re trees on A642.  Requires confirmation with Wakefield Council that they will not contribute towards cost of work. Action Andy B to enquire
  • A semi rough cut has been introduced for all holes at 30mm following an initial trial.  This is the same height as the green surrounds.  Green surrounds to be further fertilised to aid growth. At this time it was agreed that the rough should remain at 50mm however to enhance appearance an alternative cut of up and down with the semi cut in the opposite direction to be trialed on the 7th and 9th
  • It was agreed that the first bunker on the 6th should be re considered in terms of playability for higher handicap golfers. Action Andy B to seek member feedback via newsletter and Gary P to seek feedback via Pro shop.
  • It was agreed to place wood chip bark to the side of the 10th tee around the heather to help prevent weeds and maintain soil moisture for heather growth. Action Dave C to implement
  • Course signage re 4th and 13 still on order.
  • Stump ground areas have been marked as GUR and a Temporary Local Rule has been introduced.
  • A further meeting has taken place with Greens Staff after which they have been provided with a summary of changes prior to the preparation of contracts. Action Andy B to progress
  • The new Captain included in his acceptance speech specific thanks to Green staff for supporting an 8am shotgun start requiring a 4am shift commencement
  • A summary of winter work completed was provided to the members via the April Greens Update
  • Gary P liaising with Pat Mc re possible etiquette video’s for web site
  • The strip of rough across the 15th fairway has been removed.  Grass now cut at fairway length.
  • Three quotes are in hand re work on trees around course (A642 path in particular. All around £10,000.  Request to Wakefield Council for any financial assistance options to be undertaken prior to commencement.

3. Green keepers update

  • The recent weather has been considerably drier and milder than the seasonal norm allowing machinery to access areas of the course and grass cutting in particular to progress ahead of schedule.
  • Frost has however been a regular nighttime visitor taking recent ground temperatures below that at which morning growth will commence.
  • The natural spring erupting in the fairway bunker on 16 has been piped away leaving all bunkers across the course now fully in play.
  • All greens have been top-dressed and verti cut. Green surrounds and tees have been fertilized to enhance growth and appearance.
  • Greens have already been watered during the night on a regular basis with rainfall having been minimal for the last 3 weeks.
  • In the future, the focus of staff time will remain on grass cutting. Particularly greens, the aprons and surrounds.

4. Professional update

  • It was agreed in principle to undertake a “green keeper’s revenge” competition, which would be earmarked for the weekend after hollo tinning in early August.  Date to be agreed.
  • It was brought to the meetings attention that the bunker on the corner 9th has a tree root visible.                                                           Action Dave C to investigate
  • It was reported that within the copse to the left of the 16th there are piles of cut branches requiring removal.                                    Action Dave C to investigate.

5. John W Update

  • Safety on the practice ground and in particular walkers entering the field and the line walked when crossing the field.  It was agreed that signage should be implemented warning walkers and cyclists. Action Dave C to investigate.
  • The design of some holes was raised including the fairway “wiggle” on 9, the width of the 16th fairway and the mature trees adjacent to the ponds on the 7th. It was agreed that several areas of the course would require consideration that would require consultation with the membership costing to be considered before implementation. Action All to consider all course and bring proposals for Dave C to cost.

6. Greens Director Update 

  • In excess of 30 members attended the working party night on Friday 29th April.  The evening was seen as a success with two trailer loads of top soil and seed being applied to tees and fairways, 20 plus bags of rubbish being collected from around the course and innumerable pitch marks on greens repaired prior. Discussion took place regarding repeating the event which it was agreed should be repeated approx. 2 weeks prior to captains day thereby ensuring seed used would have an opportunity to germinate.   
  • Members and visitors still seen driving buggies and trollies adjacent to greens preventing development of green surrounds. Action Gary P to review buggy use signage. Dave C to review wire hoop direction marker options.

7. Verbal requests from members.

  • A request was received to address the wear and tear showing on the 13th pond.  Action Dave C to investigate option.
  • A request was received to consider additional measures to direct golfers away from green surrounds and aprons when driving buggies or using trollies. Action Dave C to investigate options
  • A request was made re the possibility to seed over the new drainage about the course e.g. 3rd fairway and near green, rear of 4th etc.  Action Dave C to investigate
  • A request was made that if we are to prevent access to the 4th tee to protect green surrounds could this be achieved with trees rather than a less attractive fence.  Action Dave C to investigate

8. Emails from members

  • None received.

9. AOB

  • The final areas of the Members survey were allocated for further assessment
        • Practice –  John W, Trees  –  Dave C, Presentation  –  Gary P, Aesthetics – Andy B

10. Date and time of next meeting.

  • 4-30pm Wednesday 14th June 2017

 

 

Actions

Owner

Update

Ordinance survey type map of course to be provided to Greens Members for consideration re tree coverage

All

Long term hold

Rough across 15th fairway to be removed

Dave C

Complete

Assess stump grind areas for GUR requirements

Dave C

Complete

Shotgun start demands for green staff requiring 4am start to be highlighted to Mr. Captain

Andy B

Complete

Members night planning and advertising

Andy B

Complete

Winter work update to membership

Andy B

Complete

Pilot semi rough cut on 15th fairway using old fairway mower.  Pilot additional fringe cut to 14thGreen using same mower 

Dave C

Complete

Contractual meeting with staff dates to be arranged

Dave C

Completed

Course signage from 4th and 13th green

Dave C

Items on order

Tree safety around course awaiting response from Wakefield Council re financial assistance

Andy B

Ongoing 

Trees to left of 11th before pond to be trimmed back

Dave C

Ongoing

Wood bark to the area to side of 10th tee / half way house.

Dave C

Ongoing

A refresh of the information provided to Buggy users is ongoing including a request to keep 10meters from greens.

Gary P

Ongoing

Videos to help enhance golfers awareness of basic etiquette to be used on club web site

Gary P

Ongoing

Review the first fairway bunker on the 6th

Gary via enquiries with shop visitors. Andy via newsletter

Gary P

Andy B

Ongoing

Tree root visible in 9th corner bunker

Dave C

Ongoing

Obstruct man made path to 4th tee with trees

Dave C

Ongoing

Wood piles in copse to left of 16th require removal

Dave C

Ongoing

Signage for practice ground advising pedestrians re danger

Dave C

Ongoing

Drainage channels seed over

Dave C

Ongoing

Review condition of 13th Pond

Dace C

Ongoing

Investigate wire hoop options around greens to direct traffic

Dave C

Ongoing

Review remaining areas of Members survey for quick win solutions

All

Ongoing