Greens Committee Minutes

Date – Tuesday 25th July 2017
Attendees Andy Booth - Dave Crampton - Gary Pritchard - John Whiteley

1. Apologies

None applicable.

2. Previous minutes discussed and Actions Schedule updated. 

  • Delivery of new course signage is anticipated this week and ideally will be in place for Captains Day or Presidents Day at the latest.

3. Green keepers update

  • No real concerns regarding the course and current conditions.
  • Fusarium occurred earlier this month across many courses in the area and has been spray treated to resolve the attack.
  • All tees and fairways have recently been cut with the rotary mower to address the incidents of couch grass type long stems.
  • The dry period at the start of this month has required extensive use of the irrigation system and the purchase of additional wetting agent.  The leak at the rear of the 14th tee is unrealistic to repair at this time particularly with nightly use of the system and will be scheduled into the winter work plans.
  • Solid Tinning and top dressing of the greens is scheduled to commence immediately after Presidents Day rather than Hollow tinning.  Current soil samples show very favourable results largely as a result of the extensive solid tinning undertaken during the winter and support solid rather than hollow drilling.
  • The contractor for the tree felling / cut back along the A642 has confirmed attendance to commence work after the August Bank Holiday.
  • Drainage channels on 1st, 3rd and 4th top dressed again.  Growth taking place but slowly.  Seeded again.
  • 13th Pond assessed.  Impractical to re-build at this time.  Hazard area re defined slightly larger.
  • Painting wire hoops considered but impractical.  Manufactured hoops ordered and anticipated delivery this week for Captain Day.
  • Green speed communication to members could not be undertaken whilst IT system to Hallway Screen was disrupted.  To be undertaken prior to Captains Day.
  • Additional tee divot boxes delivered today.  To be in use asap
  • Fairway cut level reduced to 12mm to provide tighter lies.
  • Meeting arranged with Toro rep re new fairway mower options for 31st July
  • Work on the course wish list re future developments commenced.  To be enhanced and assessed prior to winter work schedule being agreed.
  • Third quote re green keepers hut extension received.  To be reviewed and a preferred contractor identified.  Action Andy B to arrange contractor assessment process.

4. Professional update

  • Members have raised concerns over the number of areas which it was felt should be re painted white as G.U.R. Action. Dave C to include in Pre Captains Day working

5. John W update

  • It was identified that on occasions the1st and other Blue Tees appeared not to have been cut when others have been.  This was discussed and agreed to be avoided. If however wear and tear concerns require tee to be left then it should also be closed for play.  Placing Blue markers at the rear of White tees on those instances.

6. Greens Director Update 

Concern has been raised in respect of some members use of the course and in particular the failure to rake bunkers, repair pitch marks or place litter in bins.  These issues are as seen as detracting from the course and reflect poorly on us all.
To address this the following actions, have been undertaken.

  • Posters from the British and International Green-Keepers Association (BIGGA) have been obtained which show how best to repair a pitch mark. These are to be framed and displayed prominently around the clubhouse.
  • Small etiquette “flyers” have been create, which will be stapled to score cards periodically, identifying basic courtesies to be followed when playing the course.
  • Additional BIGGA posters have been obtained which identify why we hole and top dress green.  These are to be distributed on tables in the bar at the end of July.

7. Verbal requests from members.

  • None received

8. Emails from members

  • None received.

9. AOB

  • None raised.

10. Date and time of next meeting.

  • 5pm Wednesday 6th September 2017

 

Actions

Owner

Update

Ordinance Survey map of course produced identifying tree areas for external contractor work.  Funding at this time prevents advancing this issue.

Andy B

Long Term Hold

Include removal / re-design 6th fairway bunker in winter work

Andy B

On hold pending funding agreement for winter work.

Drainage channels to be seeded over

Dave C

Complete

Re define hazard line to pond on 13th

Dace C

Complete

Investigate wire hoop options around greens to direct traffic

Dave C

Complete

Length of fairway cut to be reduced to 12mm

Dave C

Complete

Meeting to be arranged with Finance Director and Torro

Andy B

Complete

Course signage from 4th and 13th green

Dave C

Anticipated delivery this week. (24-7-17)

Trees to left of 11th before pond to be trimmed back

Dave C

Ongoing

A refresh of the information provided to Buggy users is ongoing including a request to keep 10meters from greens.

Gary P

Ongoing

Videos to help enhance golfers awareness of basic etiquette to be used on club web site

Gary P

Ongoing

Signage for practice ground advising pedestrians re danger

Dave C

Ongoing

Review remaining areas of Members survey for quick win solutions

All

Ongoing

Green speed to be measured prior to each weekend and communicated to members via the hallway screen

Dave C

Gary P

Ongoing

Three additional divot boxes to be purchased for 4th and 12 tee’s

Dave C

Delivered 25/7/17

Membership of Bigga to be obtained

Dave C

Ongoing

Consider “wish list” options for course development

All

Ongoing

Green keepers hut extension quotes to be considered and preferred supplier identified

Andy B

Ongoing